Thursday, June 16, 2016

E3 2016

Another E3 hype train has left the station and after catching up on all the videos, I've got some things I'm excited about.

Nintendo did the thing they said they were going to do, they came to the show with just Zelda and Pokemon. I know I wasn't the only one that thought this was a bait and switch and we were going to see the NX.

Microsoft, Sony, EA, Ubisoft, and Bethesda all had OK showings, but there wasn't as much to blow your mind as there was last year.



The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild


It's taken them years to make. Some of us expected them to completely remove it from the Wii-U line up. But there it was and damn does it look good.

The artistic design pops. That image of Link laying in the water, it pops. It's exciting. Most importantly, it's not a post-apocalyptic shade of dirty rust.

The scope of the world seems to be that of a Bethesda or Ubisoft open world. It seems like a truly open world, not Hyrule field surrounded by various dungeon subjects.

Resident Evil VII


Capcom seems to have heard what we didn't like about Resident Evil 6 and after confirming with Revelations 2, that we want the horror more than the Call of Duty, they've created a Resident Evil game that seems draped in Silent Hill atmosphere.

And this may be the game to get me to buy into VR. If you can actually play through the entire campaign in VR, I may spend $400 on this game.

Horizon: Zero Dawn


I didn't buy into the Horizon hype last year. I just finished Far Cry 4 and was tired of bow and arrows. This looked like a lot of that sort of game but with robo-dinosaurs. I just didn't care much.

But seeing this in action this year got me excited. I like the idea of fighting these giant monsters and using a combination of traps and projectiles to bring them down. I can't wait to learn more about the mythos and world of Horizon.


Death Stranding

I don't know what it is, but it's got Kojima weird all over it and best of all, Konami doesn't have any of the keys to drive this bizarre-mobile. Kojima Unchained and I can't wait to see what that means.

Spider-Man

I'm actually really excited about this. The last Spider-Man game I played was Shattered Dimensions in 2010 and I loved it. Each Spider-Man had a really interesting hook and a pretty decent story. And it just felt great.

So if they can do a Spider-Man game right, I'm in a mood for a new one.

Play Anywhere


I like the idea of being able to buy some Xbox-One games on my computer.

I'm actually interested in the slimmed down, more powerful Xbone, but at the same time I already have a PS4, Wii-U, GameCube, and Steamlink under my TV. Not having to add another box to play a few games I really want to play makes me happy. And yeah, it's probably not the best thing Microsoft could've done to sell Xbox hardware, but their games should see increased numbers even if you have to buy it through the Windows 10 store.

Dead Rising 4

Frank West was the height of Dead Rising. I love how unapologetic-ally Japanese and quirky these games are.

Dead Rising 3 lost a little of that. It was still fun, but it didn't get me exploring every corner looking for the strange.

Dead Rising 4 has the perfect amount of insanity and Frank West cockiness. I can't tell if it's a prequel, re-imagining, if things have just gone to shit... but #FrankIsBack.


No comments: