Friday, May 26, 2023

Sony PlayStation State of Play 2023

Man, I miss E3. The State of Play presentation was great, but it feels like a tease. I'm conditioned to think, "I have at least two more presentations that are going to try to one up this one."

Anyway, Sony's State of Play happened to little fan fair. Yes, the internet talked about it. Reddit was filled with trailers. But this did not carry the same social cachet that the E3 event used to have. 

There's something missing from not having the big presentation, the live audience, the sweaty game journalist living on energy drinks and dreams. Not seeing the GiantBomb couch after hours. It's just not as special. 

But... enough old man yelling at the clouds... we have some games coming. 


I'm going to rank a very subjective "excitability" score on each of these games. Going with a gut feel, first thoughts out of 5. 

Hell Divers (4/5)

In the early days of the PS4, there wasn't much to play. There was a lot of very rudimentary indie games with varying degrees of addictability. Hell Divers was one that stood out. I spent months running missions with my friends. 

I welcome Hell Divers 2. It looks like it'll be a bit different in that the first game was overhead and this looks more like a Destiny style co-op shooter. I trust Arrowhead to capture the chaotic difficulty that came with Hell Divers.

Immortals of Aveum (3.5/5)

I'm cautious about this one. First person magic games are few and far between. It gives me a modern day Heretic or Hexen vibe. Lot's of cool colors and sparks. 

The two things that give me pause (and keeps this from the 4-5 excitement range)

  1. Ascendant Studios hasn't released any other game yet. 
  2. Getting heavy Too Human aesthetic from this

Ghostrunner 2 (3/5)

We weren't shown a ton of gameplay yet, but there's a lot of promise here. Cyberpunk / Destiny look with super fast and smooth action. The motorcycle portions felt like Akira which is always welcome. 

I just need to know more. It's got 3D Realms attached, but it also has 3 other developers attached. This seems like one of those games that promises too much and way under delivers on release. 

I honestly didn't even know there was a Ghostrunner 1. 

Phantom Blade Zero (4/5)

This looks like it could be very cool, but I'm trying to check my expectations as I played Elden Ring followed by Ghosts of Tsushima back to back and this game looks like a marriage of the two. I don't know that anyone can live up to that expectation. 

And I always worry when we have an eccentric villain, especially once that is all Joker'd up (talking about mask man). 

Sword of the Sea (2/5)

Tony Hawk's Pro Journey... that's not fair, but I think I've moved past the thatgamecompany type games. They are always great little adventures of respite, but it very much feels like something I left behind a generation ago. 

The Talos Principle 2 (2/5)

I never played the first Talos Principle. It felt too much like Myst to me when it came out and then I sort of forgot about it. 

The trailer for the sequel doesn't give us too much other than pans over cool landscapes. Kind of made me want to check out the first one to see how I felt about this type of game in the modern age. 

Neva (3/5)

Game looks gorgeous. Love how bright it is. Reminds me a bit of Ni No Kuni or Okami. I'm open to a new puzzle platformer, which is what this looks like, but not a ton of gameplay shown. 

Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater (4/5)

This is my favorite of the Metal Gear Solid games. The story is incredibly emotional. The locations vary wildly so you get some jungle, some urban, some mountain areas. 

Yes, I hated the camo system too. 

This would be a 5/5 if not for Konami being in charge of it. But if they use the Fox engine to remake this game... my god. 

Metal Gear Solid Collection (1/5)

I own this already. I own it for the PS2. I own it for the Vita. I own it for the PS3. It doesn't seem like there's anything new here. It's 1,2,3, and the two NES games. Maybe they end up adding MGS4, Peace Walker, Acid, Ops... that would make it worth it. 

But again... Konami. 

Final Fantasy XVI (3/5)

I'm not really sure how to feel about this yet. The combat looks like it's live action, which can be good, but I don't know if I trust Square to really nail that. 

Game of Throne comparisons do seem to fit just based on the amount of characters shown in the short trailer. 

And honestly, the character models look weirdly like late PS3 models. Square is always known for their hyper realistic cinematics, but I kept catching someone from the corner of the frame that just looked too smooth or something. 

This definitely won't be a preorder. I want to see what others think when it comes out. 

Spider-Man 2 (3/5)

Game looks great, looks fast, Kraven is one of my favorite Spider-man villains. All back of box points that I'm interested in. 

Yet I can't imagine going back into a collect-a-thon world right now. I just played Assassin's Creed Origins and Far Cry 6. I'm in the midst of playing Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. I'm kind of tired of checklist games and this will be one of those. 

Alan Wake 2 (5/5)

I 100%'d Alan Wake 1. I've played through the game at least 4 times and the DLC twice. I love Alan Wake.

I thought the use of light with combat was interesting. It gave you just enough extra to consider to make it feel different than other third person shooters. 

And Alan was left going a bit crazy. So if he's still controlling the story wherever he ended up and he's losing his mind, I think that leaves a game open for a lot of really cool stuff to happen. 

No comments: